Beef and Shiitake Mushroom Pot Stickers
These hearty pan fried pot stickers are packed full of seasoned ground lean beef and flavourful shiitake mushrooms. – Homemade potstickers are easier to make than you think, and they taste 10000x better than the store-bought ones!
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 16 oz ground beef
- 4 oz king mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated cabbage
- 1 oz wood ear mushrooms (optional)
- 3 gloves of garlic, grated
- 1 “thumb” of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 scallions, chopped (reserve about 3 inches of 2 stems for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 36 2-inch wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Dipping Sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Garlic cloves, grated with microplane
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated with mircoplane
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Step 1: Soak wood ear mushroom in hot water for 10 minutes (if using). Drain it then chopped it finely. Add the first 13 ingredients in a bowl (mushrooms through pepper) and mix thoroughly using your hands until everything is well combined.
Step 2: Lay out the wrappers on counter top and fill a small finger bowl with lukewarm water. Scoop out 1 teaspoon (maybe 1 1/2 teaspoons but no more) and place just off centre of each wonton. With your fingers or the back of a spoon, flatten the mixture slightly. Using your finger, moisten the edges of half of a wrapper and fold the dough over to . Press the edges down firmly to ensure they are sealed. Leave the two ends open.
Step 3: Heat some oil in a small skillet or pan over medium heat. Arrange dumplings on the skillet or pan. Pan-fry the dumplings until the bottom turns light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add 50 ml water to the skillet or pan and turn the heat to high. Cover the skillet or pan with its lid and let steam. Turn the heat off the water has completely evaporated.
Serve the dumplings warm with the dipping sauce of your choice.